Thursday, August 22, 2013

Ventures at Village Inn

So, I'm not sure how many of you know that Wednesday is free pie day at Village Inn, but I am here to tell you that Wednesday is easily my favorite day of the week besides Sunday...And yes, it's most definitely because I can get free pie! Yesterday was the third week in a row that I've been, and it most definitely hasn't gotten old yet. Although, I'm wondering if it's getting old for the waiters and managers to see me there every week and to only order a drink and then get free pie out of it.

The first week I went I ended up eating alone, because I gave the wrong Village Inn address to the people I was supposed to meet. Since I don't have my car yet, (Which is a story for another day) I always have to walk everywhere I want to go or depend on other people to bring me places.  I usually prefer walking if I can because I don't want to be too much of a leach. It works out on Wednesdays because it's probably less than two miles to the nearest Village Inn.  However, when the people I'm supposed to meet end up going to a different one twenty miles away because I gave them the wrong address, I can't exactly get up and walk twenty miles. Well, I guess technically I could, but I don't think it would be worth it even for free pie.

So there I was eating alone at a table. I'm sure it was all in my head, but I kept imagining people giving me these dirty looks like, "What kind of loser is she, that she has to eat by herself?" Like I said, I'm sure it was in my head, but that was the first time I had ever eaten at restaurant alone, so I was pretty self conscious.  It didn't help that when I went up to pay, the manager said; "Aww, did you get stood up?" I just said, "Well, yeah, kind of. I guess that it was sort of my fault though since I told them to go to the wrong Village Inn." "Oh, well you should just stand them up next time they invite you somewhere and say that you got the wrong address!"

That was my first venture at Village Inn. The week after that I told my brother Kevin I was gonna be going, and he said that he'd meet me there, so I felt a lot better that I wouldn't be there by myself. However, twenty minutes later and I was feeling how I felt the first time, only worse, because I'm sure they would totally think I was a loser if I got "stood up" twice. After a little while I asked for a kid's menu, so I probably looked like even more of a loser. It kept me occupied though and I didn't have to look at the waiter, with his "evil looks." Let's just say I was extremely relieved when Kevin finally did show up!

Then just yesterday, I went again obviously, but Kevin and I met there at the same time, so I felt like a total non-loser this time! Until the manager came over when we were about half way through eating our pie, and said to me with a totally straight face, "You know, this is the third week in a row that you have sat here at this table and gotten free pie." I was starting to get kind of nervous because I thought that he was going to say that you had to actually order a meal in order to get the pie, and that he was mad that I had been just getting pie every week. So, then he continued, saying, "And every week it's been with a different guy!" Then he just started laughing and before I could even say anything about being with Kevin both times, he just said, "Well, I'll expect to see you again next week."

Next week we're planning on going to ten different Village Inn's and getting ten pieces of pie. We'll see if we can survive it. :) Only six more days until free pie!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome for free pie! Self conscience or not I would say go for it every week. If you go by yourself again be sure to take a book with you, that way you can look "shabby chic" or "intellectual" eating pie and reading. Notebook and pencil would do the trick too. You could write poetry about your pie. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! I like Natalie's idea, Shell! You crack me up, girl. You should actually really try to go with a different guy each week. You'd totally be the talk of the VI staff -- if you aren't already. :0)

    ReplyDelete